Our Favourite Amazing Facts About Teeth
Teeth are pretty amazing. Sure, those of us in the dental health services profession here in Perth might seem a little biased, but there are tonnes of amazing things that you can learn about the pearly whites in your mouth! Here’s our top list of amazing facts.
- People who drink 3 or more glasses of fizzy drink and sodas a day have up to 62% more tooth decay, fillings and tooth loss than others.
- Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the human body
- If you don’t floss, you miss cleaning 40% of your tooth surfaces.
- Whichever is your dominate hand is the side of your mouth that you’ll predominantly chew on
- Your teeth and tongue print are just as unique as your fingerprint
- The average woman smiles 62 times a day. Comparatively, the average man only smiles about 8 times a day.
- Kids laugh around 400 times a day, adults just 15 times a day.
- Giraffes only have bottom teeth.
- In 1816 one of Sir Isaac Newton’s teeth was sold in London for $3,633, or in today’s terms $35,700. The tooth was set in a ring! And is the most expensive tooth on record
- There are more than 300 types of bacteria that make up dental plaque.
- A snail’s mouth is no larger than the head of a pin, but it can have over 25,000 teeth!
- The elephant grinds its molars and grows new ones. This happens six times in a lifetime! An elephant’s molar is about 7 inches square and can weigh over 6 pounds
- Large filter-feeding whales don’t have teeth; they use baleen instead to feed.
- There are 10-12 teaspoons of sugar in a single can of soft drink.
- Our first records of dentistry come from Egypt, over 5,000 years ago. His name was Hesi-Re
- Your teeth begin to form even before you are born—baby teeth start growing when the baby is in the womb, but they usually only come through when the infant is between 6-12 months old.
- We use four different types of teeth -incisors, canine, premolars, and molars
- Your mouth produces over 23,600 litres of saliva over your lifetime—that’s enough to fill two swimming pools!
- The average person spends 38.5 days brushing their teeth over their lifetime.
- Only two thirds of your teeth are visible – the other third is beneath your gums.
- The amount of bacteria in your mouth right now is less than the global population!
Carillon City Dental is Perth’s leading provider of dental services and orthodontic care. If you would like to make an appointment or consultation to discuss your dental health, call our friendly team or use the enquiry form online which is available online.